Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Just for Fun, Book Survey

I admit - I stole this from Not Enough Books - but I loved the questions and wanted to answer them as well.

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror?
Fantasy. I do like mystery/suspense books like Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier or even Jane Eyre, but not gory horror. I’ve learned to like Fantasy more since reading all of the Harry Potter books and the Chronicles of Narnia. Honestly, I’m often intimidated by the length of many fantasy novels and series.

Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?
I’m not really sure what the difference is between trade and mass market paperback, but I prefer paperbacks over hardbacks. Hardbacks look better on your bookshelf but if you’re buying books on a student’s budget, and hauling them around with you all the time, paperbacks are a must. I avoid movie-related book covers, they look tacky.

Amazon or brick and mortar?
Brick and mortar, I like to browse.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Neither, I prefer local stores – think Little Shop Around the Corner in You’ve Got Mail – but I haven’t found one for new books in Nashville. So I shop at Borders. I’m actually not sure where the Barnes and Noble is in Nashville. I also got a Border’s Rewards card this year – the more books you buy, the more discounts and coupons you get. I’ve saved quite a few dollars since I joined!

Bookmark or Dogear?
Bookmarks often consisting of receipts, post-its, gum wrappers or whatever else is lying on my bedside table.

Alphabetize by author, alphabetize by title or random?
As of right now my library consists of piles of books on my floor in my cramped room. But if I had a bookshelf I’d say random. Too much else to do than to sit around alphabetizing!

Keep, Throw Away or Sell?
I keep most and sell some.

Keep dustjacket or toss it?
Keep the pretty jacket.

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
Usually read with it, unless I’m borrowing someone’s book.

Short story or novel?
I prefer novels, though short stories are great for teaching and writing.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
I’m a huge Harry fan.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Depends on the book. If the book has shorter chapters I’ll always hold out for the break.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Dark and stormy sounds a lot more interesting

Buy or Borrow?
Buy and build a library.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse?
Mostly recommendations and browsing.

Lewis or Tolkien?
Lewis, though I still haven’t read the LOTR series so it’s hard to say.

Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)?
Collection

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?
Probably tidy ending.

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading?
Really whenever I can find the time but ideally at night before bed.

Standalone or Series?
Standalone. There are too many different authors out there to stick with one for so long – then again I’ve fallen into many great series and loved them.

New or used?
At the moment, used, but when I’m making a salary I’ll probably upgrade.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith – great Southern writer

Top 5 favorite genre books read last year (in no particular order)?
A lot of these were for school, but here goes.
1. Frankenstein
2. Dracula
3. A Small Place
4. The Kite Runner
5. The Poisonwood Bible


Top 5 favorite genre books of all time (in no particular order)?

This would take forever to decide, so here a random list of favorites off the top of my head…

Pride and Prejudice
The Giver
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
A Midsummer Night’s Dream


5 favorite genre series (in no particular order)?
Harry Potter!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just fyi since you mentioned both Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia in your answer to the first question... I just bought "Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal" (the 1st one... I'm finally jumping on the bandwagon) AND "El leon, la bruja y el armario" (the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe). I'm struggling to figure out which one to read first!!