Sunday, February 11, 2007

Shopping for lit



In effort to begin my quest of reading, I ventured into Bookman/Bookwoman Rare & Used Books in Hillsboro Village a few days ago. Walking through the tiny, two-room shop felt like browsing in the attic of an elderly librarian. Although cramped beneath low ceilings and bookshelves packed with layers upon layers of books, I enjoyed the cozy and mysterious atmosphere of the space and felt it was a refreshing change from the commercialized layouts of chain bookstores. After half an hour perusing the shelves, I narrowed down my selections to three purchases: The Scarlet Letter, Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Sun Also Rises. I have started reading Hawthorne and I plan to read The Sun Also Rises while I’m in Spain over my Spring break (in 20 short days!). I’m also reading Death of Salesman and hope to post about my first finished book by this Wednesday. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I love Bookman's. A month or so ago, on a cloudy Saturday morning, I walked there with a cup of coffee and enjoyed looking at old 1980's coffee table books about the environment. The environmental facts were interesting, but so were the hairdos. Not quite as "literary" or timeless as "Their Eyes Were Watching God," but still fun.

Happy reading!

Unknown said...

hey--- it's Bookwoman, too! :-)

Julia said...

Oops, thanks for pointing that out Katie, I will change it to both genders.